- 2022 May 23
Faculties & departments
Dean & Vice Deans
Materials science and engineering
is an interdisciplinary science at the interface of physics, chemistry and mechanics. The main goal of this branch of science is to study the relation between structure of materials and their properties to improve materials performance, to develop new materials and to design of materials processing techniques.
Materials engineers are responsible for the research, specification, design and development of materials to advance technologies and products of many kinds.
Their expertise lies in understanding the properties and behaviors of different substances, from raw materials to finished products. The field is also referred to as materials science or materials technology.
They work with many different materials, from ceramics to plastics, and polymers to industrial minerals.
Working in a diverse range of industries, materials engineers combine or modify materials in different ways to improve the performance, durability and cost-effectiveness of processes and products.
The Department of Materials & metallurgical Engineering was founded in 20.. in order to instruct metallurgical engineers and to perform research works in all aspects of manufacturing and processing of metallic materials. At present, 2 full-time faculty members are involved in teaching and research affairs.
Duties of Materials Engineers
Materials engineers typically do the following:
Plan and evaluate new projects, consulting with other engineers and managers as necessary
* Prepare proposals and budgets, analyze labor costs, and perform other managerial tasks
* Design and direct the testing of processing procedures
* Monitor how materials perform and evaluate how they deteriorate
* Determine causes of product failure and develop ways of overcoming such failure
* Evaluate technical specifications and economic factors relating to the design objectives of processes or products
* Evaluate the impact of materials processing on the environment